Chiddingfold 3   Horsley A 3 (League)


7th November 2004


‘We should have had so many goals …’

Ian Jones


Although a valuable point, ultimately a frustrating morning’s work, when the ball just would not go in for the boys in spite of their creating lots of chances.

Linesman Warwick added to the sheen on his halo by helpfully letting the Horsley boys know when they were offside (luckily to not much effect), and we started brightly with a good Jon Bn breakaway which the keeper did well to push round the post.

A few minutes later came a carbon copy attack, again saved, and on 20 minutes Jon finally got the goal he deserved with an immaculate lob, 1-0. (Dodgy Dossier: it should be noted here that Pat North’s ‘Spy in the Camp’ notes from previously watching Horsley, noted the keeper’s reluctance to come out of his six yard box, a point which we drummed into the boys at training. He was in fact particularly good at this. Ed.)

With joint Man of the Match Mike solid at the back, the supporters were in high good humour (at one point the possibility of appointing Kirk team captain was discussed, just so we could make lots of Star Trek gags). Then a fellow Man of the Match Jon Bn counter attack made it 2-0, at the other end Mike pulled off a terrific double save and we went into the break feeling confident.

We knew Horsley would come at us hard in the second half, and emphasised the importance of staying tight, especially early on, but the boys started the period uncertainly. Jon Bn broke away but frustratingly put the ball just wide – 3-0 at this point would probably have put the game beyond Horsley’s reach. Then Mike was forced into a fine save at full stretch but the Horsley pressure finally told and they pulled a goal back, 2-1.

Nerves were settled when Steve put a lovely ball through for Jon Bn to get his hat trick, 3-1, but Horsley could sense our vulnerability under pressure and made it 3-2 shortly afterwards. At this point Rupert  was pushed up front, broke free, but smashed the ball against the post and at this point the missed chances were really adding up.

Just before the final whistle we conceded a soft penalty, which opportunity Horsley gratefully snapped up. 3-3, should have been three points.