Real Shepperton 3   Chiddingfold 6 (League)


13th February 2005

‘Bring back Lionel!’

Naomi Taylor after second half referee Chris North gave a decision not to her liking

A comprehensive victory over a poor Shepperton side, which could easily have seen us score twice the goals we did.

A reluctant but valiant referee Lionel (press ganging still alive and kicking in these rural backwaters! - Ed)  blew the whistle and, on a small pitch, it seemed like Piccaddilly Circus out there at times. But the boys opened the scoring early on when Scott put the ball across a crowded penalty area for Jonathan Bt to slot home from 10 yards. Shortly afterwards Rupert broke clear, with excellent but unneeded support, and smacked the ball home, 2-0.

The boys were really getting into their stride now and, after work the previous training session, their heading was vastly improved. A superb clearance from Theo in central defence put Jon Bt through again and he made no mistake, 3-0. Then, after creating an opening with some impressive short passing, joint Man of the Match Richard took the ball round the keeper, 4-0.  

We were looking seriously good now, displaying some very impressive passing football, with Richard, fellow Man of the Match Jamie and Hassie all on top form. In defence, Theo has come on in leaps and bounds; decisive, calm, authoritative and sure-footed, he is playing more and more like John Terry. Mike in goal made several brave saves too and one particular move, involving Hassie, Richard and Eddie, which ended with the ball scraping the bar, had the coaches purring on the touchline.

Half time came and went (a relieved Lionel, who had been an excellent referee, made way for qualified ref Chris North) and we duly went 5-0 up after Richard battled away to win the ball for Jon Bt, who swept it majestically in for his hat trick. We were first to every ball, positive, exciting and very classy – if only it could always be like this!

To their credit Real kept trying to make a match of it and pulled a goal back by way of a lucky rebound about ten minutes into the half. They made it two not long afterwards with a super shot but never looked like getting into the game and were, by now, arguing amongst themselves.

Then the Mighty Barton got his fourth, shooting home after a great breakaway, and confusion in our defence gifted Real a third goal not long before full-time.