Take me Home


Chiddingfold 7  Claygate 0 (League)


16th October 2005


‘Not bad considering I didn’t get to bed until 4 o’clock this morning’

Referee Lionel Cozens-Smith

Much more like it. Claygate actually started the stronger and for the first ten minutes the boys had to be alert. But once they settled down they started to create chances for themselves and grew in confidence. Tom D, back in his midfield general role, ran the show, and got in an early warning to Claygate with a super lay-off, picking up the return pass and crossing beautifully. Tom B was at his menacing best wide on the right and just put the ball over the bar on about twenty minutes after a defence splitting pass from the first Tom.

In defence Daryl ‘Dazza’ launched himself into an immaculately timed diving tackle and at the other end Scott shot agonisingly wide when through on goal.

The chaps were now well on top and it was no surprise when Kirk took an exquisite free kick from wide on the left, which looped over the despairing goalkeeper and into the net – luckily touching the keeper’s fingers on the way in (it was an indirect kick!).

Just before half-time the Claygate manager had ‘a quiet word’ with his opposite number about our supposedly robust tackling and the referee’s (L. Cozens-Smith) lack of response to it. Your manager duly noted their comments and passed them on to Lionel but, really, if you want to know about robust tackling, ask Shepperton (see report for 30th Oct).

Merrily on into the second half, and Mike in goal had to be quick off his line, but the chaps went 2-0 up after about ten minutes, when Scott broke through and made no mistake. Shortly afterwards he chipped quite brilliantly over the keeper, 3-0, and the Claygate heads started to drop.

Tom D made it four – unfortunately missed by the manager, who was attending to Kirk’s suspected broken nose - and the chaps were starting to enjoy themselves now. Next came some terrific linking play, at the end of which Man of the Match Anthony M stormed into the Claygate area, and oh so casually flicked the ball into the path of Will, who smacked it into the roof of the net. Great goal and cue ecstasy amongst the supporters.

Claygate weren’t ready to throw in the towel yet though, and Mike still had to come quickly and bravely off his line, but there was only ever going to be one result, especially after Will went on one of his battling runs, hit the post and the ball bounced out into the path of the marauding Anthony to make no mistake, 6-0.

We were completely in control now, and could in truth have had several more goals. With Jon B off (and vice captain Theo away), Kirk was sent on as captain to boldly split his infinitives, and shortly before full time a glorious cross reached Will, who was hurtling in at the far post and sort of headed/shouldered the ball into the net. Terrific stuff.